Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Another reason I'm a teacher

I have always enjoyed being a teacher, even when I don't have a lot of reason to continue. In Arizona, we are the least appreciated profession and I am given more reasons to despair than I would have thought possible. But every now and then, something happens to remind me why I do this. I do this job because it lets me have a small part in the lives of amazing kids who grow up to be amazing adults. Case in point: I just discovered that one of my former students is part of a project that is focused on relief efforts in Africa. She was a member of my favorite graduating class of all time and I discovered her work by accident. You can check it out by clicking on her blog, "The Indestructible Beat," on the right side of this page.

I would be lying if I thought that her work had anything to do with my classes. I do believe that, deep down somewhere, a little piece of her time with me has influenced her life. Some days, that's all I get, but, thankfully, it's enough.

Thanks for reading. I'll try to do better next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment