Wednesday, November 23, 2011

A love letter to NPR

One of the best parts of my day is just after I wake up.  I wander to the kitchen and make some coffee with the radio tuned to 91.7 FM.  That's our local NPR station.  I love getting my brain going with such quality information.

NPR does good reporting on so many things.  I have learned about new psychological research, which I included in my class. I have learned about scientific breakthroughs, world politics, artists, films, books and writers.  I read things I would never have read, watch things I would never have watched, and even eat things I would never have eaten. Case in point: a number of years ago, I tried the infamous Pepto-Bismol pink cranberry relish that Susan Stamberg extols each year at this time. It has become a staple of our Thanksgiving feast.

This morning I heard Tina Brown of The Daily Beast/ Newsweek on Morning Edition. She talked about articles by Peggy Noonan and David Brooks, two well-known Republican writers.  Most of you who will read this know that I am firmly on the opposite side of the aisle.  However, because of the appearance on NPR, I was willing to give them a chance.  In fact, I read both columns and they are great, not just good.  I had to think and accommodate new information and opinions.  This is a good thing.

Wherever you are, find the closest NPR station and listen.  There is only the bias provided by actual facts and there is so much more than that.  You can also expect to be entertained and moved and challenged. Let this happen and enjoy the experience.

Thanks for reading.  I'll try to do better next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment